Friday, July 6, 2007

Survivalists Need Love Too

"Hey BRK, I've been thinking about writing this letter for a while, and today, upon reading "Not Gloating; Just Spreading the Gospel", I felt compelled.

"I'm a survival hunter. I LOVE it. I love the huge agility, the multiple crits, the buff I give to my raid and... wait for it... super traps! With two Beastlord I have 26 second traps and a 20 second cooldown. I can CC, theoretically, five mobs at once: pet, trap, trap, trap, sting - maybe even a second sting - though I've never actually done it. Needless to say, I like my spec, I do great damage and have lots of tricks.

"The other day my Kara group needed a replacement DPSer and picked up a BM hunter. He was great. He had a few greens left on for gear, compared to my purples and very nice blues, and managed to be the top of our DPS counters. This, after reading your blog and trying BM for myself, was no surprise. He even used the rank-four stacking poison on his little crabby. I told him, in so many words, that he was a sweet hunter.

"Here's the problem: he was a smug little bastard. Why oh why must people consider the DPS meter to be the end all and be all of so many classes? I am worried that BM is becoming the new MM. Frankly, I LIKE that there are different types of hunters out there and my BM friend should like it too; it could even mean fat loots when I pass a purple to him that has not enough agility for me!

"Anyway, I love your blog but just wanted to make sure that hunters out there were not getting the wrong idea about the importance of DPS. Please, let me love my traps without getting smug tells from all the Beastmasters out there! Thanks, Mike."


BRK does not condone smugness. A gentle air of superiority is a wonderful thing, but we do not want you to abuse people personally. It's about Style, people, and a good hunter will know how to behave himself appropriately.

All hunters should know that a properly geared and trained survivalist hunter is one of the most potent crowd-controlling and hard-to-kill of all the classes, period, and they should respect them. It takes a special person to be willing to sacrifice some DPS and pet-survivability to provide one of the best party-buffs and most useful raiding skills in the game.

It is our opinion that Beastmaster is the highest DPS-spec, but we readily admit and advocate that Beastmaster is not The Best spec. The Best Spec is the one you prefer to play. Just do a good job of it. That's what we ask of you and what you should demand of yourself.



Disclaimer: This content was originally posted by Daniel Howell (BigRedKitty) on bigredkitty.blogspot.com and/or bigredkitty.net. It is posted here for historical and archival purposes only.

No comments:

Post a Comment